master of arts in teaching banner

Online Teaching Degree

Are you on track to make an impact as a teacher? Don’t make the world wait. Designed for those with a bachelor’s degree outside the field of education who want to earn a teaching degree, the 12-month accelerated Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program will prepare you for teacher certification.

Get the inside scoop

Master of Arts in Teaching

$495.50 per credit hour*
31 credit hours
100% online

*This estimate includes online tuition and College of Education fees and is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ depending on your transfer hours, course choices and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.


Shaun ReedThe Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) is a 12-month program for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree outside the field of education who want to become teachers. This accelerated online teaching degree combines rigorous online coursework with a field experience in an accredited school near you—no matter where you live in the U.S.

The elementary education option focuses on grades K-6. The secondary education option focuses on grades 7-12. Choose from specializations in English, agricultural education, social science or modern languages, regardless of what you studied as an undergraduate student.

Once you complete the program, you’ll be eligible to apply for an Initial Teaching License in the state of Kansas. The license will transfer to other states upon completion of any additional requirements for that state.

K-State’s online degrees offered through the College of Education are highly rated by U.S. News & World Report, including a No. 10 ranking for the curriculum and instruction and Master of Arts in Teaching graduate programs. Learn more here.

Learn more about elementary and secondary education.


Statement on 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v). Graduates of Kansas State Universitys teacher education programs who successfully complete the Kansas teacher licensure exams are eligible to apply for a Kansas Initial Teaching License. Kansas State University cannot determine whether its teacher educations programs lead to licensure in any state other than Kansas. If you plan to teach in a state other than Kansas, you will need to check the teacher license transfer requirements of your states Department of Education. We have compiled a state-by-state resource that outlines additional requirements, procedures and contacts to transfer of your Initial Kansas Teaching License to other states or U.S. territories.